Peter Obi Biography: Peter Obi, the former Governor of Anambra State, is a wealthy politician as well as a successful businessman. Before entering politics, he worked in the corporate world for a while. This page will tell you more about Peter Obi’s life.
Peter Obi Profile
|Name||Peter Gregory Obi|
|Date of birth||19th July 1961|
|State of Origin||Anambra, Nigeria|
|Wife||Margaret Brownson Usen|
|Net worth||$10 million|
Peter Obi Biography
Peter Gregory Obi is his full name, and he was born in Onitsha, Anambra State. Loved ones affectionately referred to him as “OKWUTE,” which means “ROCK.” Peter Obi, who was born on July 19, 1961, received his early education in Onitsha, Anambra State. He attended Christ the King College in Onitsha for his high school studies. Peter Obi had his higher education at the famed University of Nigeria, Nsukka, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in philosophy in 1984. Peter Obi Biography
Peter Obi has a voracious desire for academics and information. This hunger drove me to study at top international schools outside of Nigeria. He attended Harvard Business School in Boston, Massachusetts, and the London School of Economics, where he studied Financial Management and Business Policy. He also attended Columbia Business School.
School, New York, USA, where he studied Marketing Management; Institute for Management and Development, Switzerland, where he also received two certificates in Senior Executive Program and Chief Executive Officers Program; Kellogg Graduate School of Management, USA, Oxford University, and Cambridge; Kellogg Graduate School of Management, USA; Kellogg Graduate School of Management, USA; Kellogg Graduate School of Management, USA; Kellogg Graduate School of Management, USA; Kellogg Graduate School of Management, USA; Kellogg Graduate School of Management. Peter Obi Biography
Peter Obi Business Career
Peter Obi was able to establish a respected career in the business sector thanks to his intelligence and business acumen. He had several managerial and business positions with a number of high-profile companies. Among the businesses with which he has worked are:
- Next International Nigeria Ltd
- Guardian Express Mortgage Bank Ltd
- Guardian Express Bank Plc
- Future View Securities Ltd
- Paymaster Nigeria Ltd
- Chams Nigeria Ltd
- Corp Ltd and Card Centre Ltd
Peter Obi was appointed Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission during the reign of former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (SEC).
Peter Obi is a member of the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG), the Nigerian Chartered Institute of Bankers, and the British Institute of Directors, among other prestigious organizations (IOD). Peter Obi Biography
Peter Obi Political Career
Peter Obi’s political career was beset with obstacles, but he overcame them all because to his determination and boldness. He originally ran for governor of Anambra in 2003 as a member of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA). INEC, on the other hand, proclaimed his opponent Chris Ngige the winner. Peter Obi refused to accept the judgment and contested it in court for three years until he was proclaimed the winner and sworn in as governor on March 17, 2006.
Peter Obi ran for Governor of Anambra State for a second term in 2010. He triumphed over his opponent, former CBN governor Professor Charles Soludo, in the election. After handing over power to Willie Obiano in 2014, he continued to lead the people of Anambra for another four years.
During the 2019 presidential election, Peter Obi aimed to be Nigeria’s vice president. He was Atiku Abubakar’s running mate in the People’s Democratic Party. Unfortunately, he was defeated by incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari in the election. Peter Obi Biography
Peter Obi Awards And Recognitions
Peter Obi has won numerous awards for his achievements in the commercial and political worlds. The following are some of his honors and awards:
- Man of the Year, Sun Newspaper, 2007
- Most Prudent Governor in Nigeria, Thisday Newspaper, 2009
- Nigeria’s Most Trustworthy Governor, Champion Newspaper, 2009
- Governor of the Year, West Africa ICT Development Award, 2010
- Zik Leadership Prize, 2011
- Best Performing Governor on Immunization in South-East Nigeria, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, 2012
- Leadership and Good Governance Award, Ezeife Leadership Foundation, 2012
- Golden Award on Prudence, Methodist Church of Nigeria, 2012
- Man of the Year, Business Hallmark Newspaper, 2012
- Man of the Year, Silverbird, 2013
- Award for Outstanding Example in Leadership and Governance, The Voice Newspaper, 2014
- Most Outstanding Igbo Man of the Decade, Champion Newspaper, 2014
- Golden Merit Award, Nigerian Library Association, 2014
- Golden Jubilee Award, Catholic Diocese of Onitsha, 2015
Peter Obi’s Net Worth
Peter Obi, the former governor of Anambra State and the Peoples Democratic Party’s vice presidential candidate in the 2019 general elections, said he was a trader who ventured into banking before becoming governor. He was also an engineer of South African Breweries. With all of this, we believe Obi was a billionaire in naira with an estimated net worth of about $10 million, even before becoming governor of Anambra state. Peter Obi Biography
Peter Obi Cars
A man of Peter Obi’s wealth and influence can afford to ride in the nicest of vehicles. It is said that during his time as Governor, he rode in a convoy of unique and luxury cars. The following are examples of possible expensive cars in Peter Obi’s garage:
Mercedes Benz AMG C63
During his many commercial and political contacts in Nigeria, Peter Obi will be driving the luxurious AMG C63. The Mercedes Benz AMG is available as a coupe, sedan, or convertible. Peter Obi Biography
This vehicle includes a six-month trial of SiriusXM satellite radio, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and Bluetooth audio streaming. The initial price of this car is 65 million NGN.
Lexus is known for developing high-quality vehicles that are designed for maximum performance and comfort. The Lexus LX 570 is one of the Lexus automobile brand’s toughest models, with a 5.7-liter V8 engine that produces 403 lb-ft of torque. The automobile is said to be worth N75 million.
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota land cruisers feature a distinctive aggressive and boxy style that is difficult to overlook. Toyota Land Cruiser is an excellent car to have. It is sometimes referred to as the King of all SUVs. With a powerful V8 engine, the Land Cruiser can only produce enormous horsepower and torque, which are rated at 262 bhp at 3400 RPM and 650 Nm at 1600 RPM, respectively. The cost of this vehicle is estimated to be between 55 and 70 million NGN. Peter Obi Biography
Peter Obi Houses
Peter Obi is the proud owner of a multi-million naira mansion. He is suspected of owning a 650 million NGN home in Enugu, Nigeria. He is also claimed to own a home in London and multiple homes throughout Nigeria. Peter Obi Biography
Peter Obi Personal Life
In 1992, Peter Obi married Margaret Brownson Usen, and they had two children, Gabriella Nwamaka Frances Obi and Gregory Peter Oseloka Obi. He is a devout Catholic as well.
Peter Obi Source of wealth
“I was the lone engineer of South African Breweries,” Peter Obi revealed on Arise TV during the Pandora Paper saga. I was also taking Ovaltine into the office.
“I used to work for a company before leaving it to my brother, who took over and paid me off.” That business evolved into the Next Cash and Carry, which now has locations in Port Harcourt and Abuja.
“Before becoming a governor, I served on the boards of three banks and was the chairman of one.”
Peter Obi Achievements
- He was the first gubernatorial candidate in Nigeria to legally challenge to its logical conclusion, his governorship electoral victory that was denied him. He won in the Courts and reclaimed his mandate.
- He was the first Governor in Nigeria to legally challenge his wrongful impeachment and was reinstated by the Courts.
- He was the first Governor in Nigeria to seek the interpretation of tenures of Governors when INEC allowed elections to take place in Anambra State when his tenure had not expired; the election already concluded was cancelled and he was allowed to complete his tenure.
- He was the first Governor to serve a 2nd term in both the new and old Anambra State, that is, almost 40 years after the creation of the State.
- He was the first Governor, whilst still in Office, to be appointed a Special Adviser to the President.
- He was the first serving Governor to be appointed to the Presidential Economic Management Team.
- He was among the first Governors to be honoured with a National Award in 2011, while still in office.
- Though the only Governor whose political party was in government in only one State, he was elected Vice-Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum twice.
- Though the only non-PDP Governor in the South-East (made up of 5 States), he was elected by the other 4 PDP Governors as their Chairman for 8 years rather than the usual one year.
Peter Obi Achievements as Governor of Anambra state
1. Anambra was the first State to commence Sub-Sovereign Wealth savings, the first of its kind in Sub-Saharan Africa. At a time many other Governors were leaving huge debts, I left the equivalent of $500 Million dollars in investment as well as local and foreign currency, including $156 million in Dollar-denominated bonds.
2. For the first time in the history of Anambra State, Ambassadors and High Commissioners of notable countries such as the United States, Britain, Russia, the European Union, South Africa, Belgium, Israel, the Netherlands, and Canada, among others, visited the State. Before his tenure, Anambra was practically a pariah state blacklisted by the Diplomatic Corps and international development partners. Peter Obi Biography
3. Development partners such as UNDP, UNICEF, the World Bank, DFID, the European Union etc., which hitherto were not in Anambra State started working with the State. Anambra was consistently adjudged one of the best states in development partnership and commitment to reforms for good governance.
4. He was recognised as Best Governor by the Millennium Development Goals Office (OSSAP-MDGs) and the UNDP in the implementation of their programmes in Nigeria.
5. The Nigerian Debt Management Office (DMO) rated Anambra as the least indebted state in Nigeria. In spite of visible and measurable achievements recorded in various sectors, the State under him did not borrow or raise bonds for her various projects.
6. The Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria rated Anambra State as the most financially stable state in the country.
7. The State’s ground-breaking return of schools to their original owners – Voluntary Agencies (Churches) on 1st January 2009, and subsequent partnership with the Agencies in Education, saw the State move from 24th position out of 36 States to Number One in National Examination Council (NECO) and West African Examination Council (WAEC) examinations for three consecutive years. This made the World Bank to commission a study, led by the renowned Prof. Paul Collier of Oxford University, on this revolutionary partnership and phenomenal achievement.Peter Obi Biography
8. The State also entered into a strategic partnership with the Churches in the Health sector. This symbiotic relationship resulted in a tremendous boost to health care because of the services offered by health institutions owned by Voluntary Agencies, while the State restored grants to the agencies and made available to them more than 50 Million Dollars in various types of support.
9. Through a partnership with the Church in the Health sector, his Government funded the transformation of -:
- a: Iyienu Hospital, Ogidi
- b: Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Ihiala
- c: St Charles Borromeo Hospital, Onitsha
- d: Holy Rosary Hospital, Waterside, Onitsha
- e: St. Joseph Hospital, Adazi-Nnukwu.